Monday, March 26, 2012

Recovery from windows failure

Hi all,

We've got a problem with our server in that Windows has totally died - a routine upgrade appears to have gone wrong and the repair function of the Windows installer keeps getting stuck in a loop so I've given up on that front. What I was wondering is:

1. If I install a fresh copy of Windows 2003 R2 over the top of the existing install will that kill MSSQL Sever 2005 and/or Windows Sharepoint Services?
2. If so, is there a simple way to get them back?
3. If I install another copy of Windows on the D: drive is there a recommended way to move the MSSQL databases & Sharepoint to the newer install or a way of pointing the new install at the old databases?

I'm not an admin person (i'm a developer normally) so I haven't got a lot of background in this stuff so any tips, pointers or ideas are welcome. If this is covered somewhere on the MS site I'm happy to read but I'm just getting lost at the moment.

And, yes, I realise that backups are a good thing but the latest backups are not new enough for some items. The backup process has been adjusted accordingly.

Thanks
Michael.
serious problem...sympathizing...|||

Howdy,

I am also a newbie; and have run into a similar problem as you "Mycle". I am trying not to lose all my info / data a my C: drive aswell. My system just keeps looping , and looping in the setup / upgrade installation process; and stops at the 39min mark. Then i get this "Fatal" error msg. I cannot even get into the recovery screen.

"The signature windows XP Pro upgrade is invalid, code error 426. The service is not started.

and then we continue to dance and boot / loop again.

I've exhausted my eyes for nearly half a day now and nothing.

If you find something could you hopefully send me in the right direction, please and thanks, this also goes out to anyone else that may also have some insite, thanks again.

'Ruff'

specs: Running Windows XP Pro; the upgrade was on the account of windows crashing and not booting back up. ( 100 times)

|||

Have you had any luck yet? I'm almost at the point where i have to format the drive.

please help if you have any ideas for myself, please and thanks inadvance.

Ruffnready

No comments:

Post a Comment