Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Recordset Destination

Every time I try to us a recordset destination for error output, I have problems with setting the "VariableName" field. Is this a known issue? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks
Jim

Jim,
Can you elaborate on what the problem is? An error message would be helpful.

My only tip based on what you have said is make sure that the type of the variable to which you are assigning the recordset is "Object".

Regards
Jamie|||Here is the text I get

Error 3 Validation error. Data Flow Task: Recordset Destination [332]: The VariableName property is not set to the name of a valid variable. Need a runtime variable name to write to. Package.dtsx 0 0|||Have a look here and see if it helps

This is the June CTP

Shredding a Recordset
(http://www.sqlis.com/default.aspx?59)|||In addition to having to point to a variable of type "Object", this property is also case sensitive. You may want to specify the variable's namespace as well.

Other than that I can't think what's wrong because I have had this working!

-Jamie|||Thanks Allan.

Pretty simple and I figured it was something like this. I didn't realize I needed a "variable" to hold onto my recordset.

Jim|||You need to create a variable by providing a name, of type object and also the scope of the variable. Check your object type.

I have written a book for beginners and even if you are not you may benefit from reading it. I recommend as it gives you a more deeper understanding of packages as implemented in the Visual studio 2005

http://www.packtpub.com/sql-server-integration-services-visual-studio-2005/book

No comments:

Post a Comment