Friday, March 9, 2012

Recover A Database From Another Hard Disk With A Corrupted Windows 2000 Installation.

Hello,

I am trying to recover a SQL Server 7 database from another hard disk
drive that has a corrupted Windows 2000 Advanced Server installation. I
am not able to repair the corrupted Windows 2000 Advanced Server
installation but the file system is intact. I have installed a new copy
of SQL Server 7 onto a new hard disk and have used the sp_attach_db
system stored procedure to attach the database from the old hard drive
into the new installation of SQL Server 7 on the new hard drive. The
database shows up in the Enterprise Manager View and all the data and
structure are there, but when I try to run a Web site that uses ODBC
connections to the database I get the following error:

ODBC Error Code = 08001 (Unable to connect to data source)

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server
not found.

I have double-checked that all the NTFS permissions, ODBC DSNs, and Web
Server settings are correct and when I run the SQL Server ODBC driver
test at the completion of each ODBC DSN setup, it is successfull.

1) Why am I getting this ODBC error?

2) What steps have I missed in the recovery process?

3) If I have done something wrong recovering my database, can I still
recover it since I still have: a) The old master database file and log
file; b) The old database (non-master) file and log file; c)A backed-up
(Enterprise Manager -> Right Click A Database -> All Tasks -> Backup
Database) copy of the old database (non-master) file; ?

My System Specifications:
-Windows 2000 Advanced Server
-SQL Server 7
-IIS 5.0
-Cold Fusion Server 4.5 Professional Full Edition
Thanks For Your Time,

NathanIn my first post, I gave the wrong error. The error should read:

ODBC Error Code = S0002 (Base table not found)
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name
'dboLogs'.

Sorry for the inconvenience. -Nate|||Nevermind...I have solved the problem myself. The problem was in the
ODBC DSN configuration. When I setup a SQL Server 7 ODBC DSN, there is
a checkbox "Change the default database to:" with a disabled drop-down
list showing the name of the database that I was trying to connect to.
The way the name is displayed, it looks as though SQL Server is
connecting to this database by default. In reality, I had to checkmark
the box for SQL Server to connect to this database.

I hope this helps the next database professional from wasting as much
time as I (...'d hate to admit that I...) did.

No comments:

Post a Comment